Saturday, January 16, 2010

a new cooking phase...

so...i'm really in a cooking phase right now. i'm actually trying to find new recipes, and have tried a few out recently that are excellent! i've thought about wanting to do a cooking club, but just don't know how to make it work...but i also want to inspire other wives/moms to have fun in the kitchen as well! so--for now...
...i'm going to post some of the new recipes i have made...
...give a score (on a scale of 1-10...10 being freakin' awesome)
...and give a review (my experience with making it, and my personal thoughts on the meal)
its just for fun, but hopefully will get your creative juices flowing!!

at any point, i welcome new recipes! if you have one you love, please share it with me! i guess you can just leave it in the comment section. that's where my cooking club idea always gets stuck, at making it interactive...but feel free to leave me a comment with your recipe favs...

here's a few things about me in the kitchen:
--i like to cook and bake (i go thru phases of being partial to one...right now its cooking...but i still love baking)
--i keep it simple (i do not like adding a ton of spices that i have to buy a jar of and only use once...)
--i like quick recipes. (i have 3 little guys running around, and don't have hours to make dinner.)
--i don't like chopping onions. (if a recipe calls for chopped onions, i leave it out, and instead add onion powder)
--i like to make a lot. (i love entertaining, and enjoy having recipes that are cheap, but enough for friends!)

So...now when you see random recipes posted with my reviews...you will know why!!
Here's the first one!!

Mexican Roast
1 small rump roast
chili powder
1 can green chilies
1 can rotel
1 can cream of mushroom
1 c. dried pinto beans
1 can water

Wash and dry roast. Rub chili powder all over roast and place in bottom of crockpot. Layer beans, chilies, cr. of mushroom, rotel, then water. Cover, and cook on low 9-10 hours. Do not open lid or stir. Once done, put all in a dish. Pull apart and cut roast up, and mix all together. Serve on tortillas like you would fajitas.

Score: 10

Review:
This recipe was awesome! It literally took me about a total of 15 min.... total!! 5 min to put it all together...then it cooks all day...then 10 min to cut the roast and stir it all when its done. I was a little skeptical...not sure about roast meat for fajitas...but it was really good! the beans, and everything just mixed well together...and it wasn't weird at all! I put the roast in the middle of the crockpot, and layered the other ingredients around the roast. I didn't touch it all day! the recipe says don't stir or even open the lid! :) I used a 9x13 dish to cut the roast up in, then dumped the rest and mixed it all up!
We sprinkled cheese on ours too. I have no complaints....except that the roast was $7....but there was enough for 6-8 people....so it made a lot! The recipe also called for chopped onions, but I don't like to chop onions, so I just left it out, but if you like them, then add them! :)
Super easy. Super delicious!


what are your favorite crock pot recipes??

2 comments:

Whitney said...

That recipe is similar to one I have using London Broil. The diced onions would help add flavor and moisture. I would suggest having Andy dice them and just freeze them in a plastic bag and you can add them in recipes. Also, it should freeze well, so freeze the meat and use it for a second meal. I also roll mine in tortillas and pan fry into flautas!
Glad you're trying new recipes, it's so fun! I fed my family eggplant parmesan tonight, yum!

魯肉飯Kirk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.